At Westfield Pediatric Dental Group, our experienced dentists go the extra mile to ensure our patients with special needs have a positive experience at the dentist, starting with the very first visit.
Children with special healthcare needs often experience a higher risk of oral diseases that can affect their quality of life and long-term health. Our patients are treated on a case by case basis with a particular emphasis on their unique needs. Our staff is committed to:
- Listening: Because parents and caregivers know their children better than anyone else, each visit begins by listening to the special circumstances of each child. By listening to you, and patiently answering your questions, we are able to work together in providing the best possible care for your child.
- Adapting: Instead of asking our patients to adapt to an unchanging structure of care, we strive to remain flexible with treatment options. We balance the safety and emotional well-being of each patient with effective dental care. No two children are the same, which is why we adapt our care to be effective for each child's specific needs.
- Caring: Our staff truly cares about each of our patients, and our care is especially present in our treatment of children with special health care needs. Our staff has gained the necessary expertise to care for children with special health care needs. We chose pediatric dentistry as a dental specialty because we are passionate about helping children begin a lifetime of good oral hygiene. We chose to care for children with special healthcare needs because all smiles matter, and we value each one.
Our Biggest Priority: Your Child’s Comfort
Dr. Timothy McCabe, Dr. Julie Jong, Dr. Kelly Walk, Dr. John Chang, and Dr. Sara Karlin are board certified in pediatric dentistry and have specialty training in treating children with special needs. To acclimate our patients to the dental environment, we invite children to visit the office and spend time with us before any treatment. We also offer the following:
- N20 or laughing gas for our special needs kids
- General anesthesia and sedation for selected children in the office
- Hospital Dentistry at Overlook Hospital
- Weighted blankets to make children feel secure
- TVs at each dental chair to entertain the children
- Easy access to the building
- Emergency care after hours and on weekends
We value the unique qualities of each young smile we treat, and seek to ensure maximal health for all, regardless of developmental disability or other healthcare issues.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry defines special healthcare needs as “any physical, developmental, mental, sensory, behavioral, cognitive, or emotional impairment or limiting condition that requires medical management, healthcare intervention, and/or use of specialized services or programs.” Whether your child’s condition is congenital, developmental, or the result of disease or trauma, we can provide guidance and raise awareness of his or her special dental care needs.
It is our goal to create a dental home for your child, where treatment can be delivered safely, and ideal dental health can be achieved.