Vanish™, the only white fluoride varnish, was used for your child’s fluoride treatment today. Vanish safely provides optimal protection, delivering the highest fluoride concentration possible, while eliminating the yellow discoloration of traditional fluoride varnishes. To obtain maximum benefit during the four to six hour treatment period, we ask that your child follow the recommendations below after you leave our office:
- Do not remove Vanish by brushing or flossing for at least four to six hours.
- If possible, wait until tomorrow to resume normal brushing and flossing
- Avoid hot drinks and products containing alcohol (i.e. beverages such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soup, and oral rinses with alcohol) for four to six hours.
- Avoid crunchy foods such as chips, crackers, pretzels, carrot sticks, etc. for four to six hours. After application, varnish may appear white and streaky on the tooth surface. Brush thoroughly after the four to six hours and it will remove any remaining varnish.
Composite or Amalgam while Numb
- Your child will be numb for approximately one to three hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, or pull on the tongue, lips, or cheeks.
- If your child complains of any discomfort, you can give them a regular dose of Tylenol, Advil, or Motrin.
- Softer foods like macaroni and cheese, scrambled eggs, yogurt, pudding, or ice cream are okay for the child to eat while numb.
Front Tooth Bonding
- Your child will be numb for approximately one to three hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, pull, tug, or scratch their lip and nose. From now, on your child will need to be extra careful with the foods that they eat. The bonded teeth should not be used to bite into foods. Foods such as corn on the cob, apples, and pretzels should be cut into smaller pieces. Remember: this bonding is just plastic and it can chip or break if the child is not careful.
- You can give your child a regular dose of Tylenol, Advil, or Motrin if they complain of any post-operative discomfort.
Back Tooth STAINLESS STEEL CROWN
- Your child will be numb for approximately one to three hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, or pull on their tongue, lips, or cheeks.
- Your child should avoid sticky foods such as gummy bears, fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, taffies, caramels, etc. because they could loosen the restoration and cause it fall off.
- Although your child has received optimum care, there is always a possibility of a tooth abscessing after treatment. Symptoms to an abscess are pain, swelling, and a “puss pimple” on the gum next to the treated tooth.
Your child is not numb and the sealant may have a bitter after taste, so your child can eat or drink immediately after the appointment. Have them avoid biting on hard candies and ice so the sealant doesn’t chip off.
Composite with Laser
If your child had the laser for their filling procedures, then they are not numb. The patient may eat and drink immediately after their appointment with no restrictions.
Frenectomy/Operculectomy/Gingivectomy Procedures with Laser
Although we used the laser for your child’s procedures today they still may be numb. If your child is numb, they will be for approximately one to three hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, or pull on their tongue, lips, or cheeks. Bland foods such as yogurt, applesauce, eggs, and macaroni and cheese, etc. are recommended after these procedures. Stay away from acidic and salty foods for a few days while the tissue heals. Avoid brushing those specific areas for a few days.
Before your child starts any type of whitening treatment, they need to start brushing with Sensodyne toothpaste two weeks before the whitening process begins. This will help minimize sensitivity. It is also a good idea to whiten your top teeth before the bottom so you can compare, and then whiten the bottom once you get the top to the desired shade. Whitening instructions are as follows:
- Wear the tray at night for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Apply a small amount to inner wall of tooth mold in tray.
- Put in the tray and wipe any excess material from gums.
- After whitening application, remove tray by peeling from back of mouth on one side. Rinse mouth thoroughly.
- Rinse tray under room temperature or cold water and store at room temperature in the case provided.
- Wait 30 minutes before brushing. Continue use of Sensodyne up to four weeks after whitening process.