After Your Appointment
Vanish the only white fluoride varnish, was used for your fluoride treatment today. Vanish safely provides optimal protection, delivering the highest fluoride concentration possible, while eliminating the yellow discoloration of traditional fluoride varnishes. To obtain maximum benefit during the 4·6 hour treatment period, we ask that you follow the recommendations below after you leave our office:
- Do not remove Vanish by brushing or flossing for at least 4·6 hours.
- If possible, wait until tomorrow to resume normal brushing and flossing
- Avoid hot drinks and products containing alcohol (i.e. beverages such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soup, and oral rinses with alcohol) for 4·6 hours.
- Avoid crunchy foods such as chips, crackers, pretzels, carrot sticks, etc for 4·6 hours. After application, Vanish may appear white and streaky on the tooth surface. Brush thoroughly after the 4·6 hours and it will remove any remaining Vanish.
Composite or Amalgam while Numb
- Your child will be numb for approximately I to 3 hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, or pull on the tongue, lips or cheeks.
- If your child complains of any discomfort you can give them their regular dose of Tylenol, Advil or Motrin.
- Softer foods like macaroni and cheese, scrambled eggs, yogurt, pudding or ice cream are okay for the child to eat while numb.
Front Tooth Bonding
- Your child will be numb for approximately I to 3 hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, pull, tug or scratch their lip and nose. From now on your child will have to be extra careful with the foods that the child eats. The bonded teeth should not be used to bite into foods. Foods such as corn on the cob, apples and pretzels should be cut into smaller pieces. Remember this bonding is just plastic and it can chip or break if the child is not careful.
- You can give your child their regular dose of Tylenol, Advil or Motrin if they complain of any post operative discomfort.
Back Tooth STAINLESS STEEL CROWN
- Your child will be numb for approximately I to 3 hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, or pull on their tongue, lips or cheeks.
- Your child should avoid sticky foods such as gummy bears, fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, taffies, caramels etc. because they could loosen the restoration and cause it fall off.
- Although your child has received optimum care there is always a possibility of a tooth abscessing after treatment. Symptoms to an abscess are pain, swelling, and a "puss pimple" on the gum next to the treated tooth.
Your child is not numb and the sealant may have a bitter after taste, so your child can eat or drink immediately after the appointment. Have them avoid biting on hard candies and ice so the sealant doesn't chip off.
Composite with Laser
If your child had the laser for their filling procedures then they are not numb. The patient may eat and drink immediately after their appointment with no restrictions.
Frenectomy/Operculectomy/Gingivectomy Procedures with Laser
Although we used the laser for your child's procedures today they still may be numb. If your child is numb, they will be for approximately I to 3 hours. Remind your child not to bite, suck, or pull on their tongue, lips or cheeks. Bland foods such as yogurt, applesauce, eggs, macaroni and cheese, etc. are recommended after these procedures. Stay away from acidic and salty foods for a few days while the tissue heals. Avoid brushing those specific areas for a few days.
Before your child starts any type of bleaching treatment he/she needs to start brushing with Sensodyne toothpaste 2 weeks before the bleaching process begins. This will help minimize sensitivity. It is also a good idea to bleach your top teeth before the bottom so you can compare and then bleach the bottom once you get the top to the desired shade. Bleaching Instructions areas follows:
- Wear the tray at night for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Apply a small amount to inner wall of tooth mold in tray.
- Put in the tray and wipe any excess material from gums.
- After bleaching application remove tray by peeling from back of mouth on one side. Rinse mouth thoroughly.
- Rinse tray under room temperature or cold water and store at room temperature in the case provided.
- Wait 30 minutes before brushing. Continue use of Sensodyne up to 4 weeks after bleaching process.